Halloween is the best time of year to get your kids excited about dressing up, but it can also be a bit daunting if you’re not sure what costumes they want or how much they’ll enjoy their costume. Here are some easy and fun family Halloween costumes that will make your kids smile:
Perfect for: The Cat in the Hat
- Wear a red and white striped shirt.
- Wear a red bow tie.
- Wear a top hat (or, if you don’t want to wear it all day, use a large yellow raincoat instead). Black pants and shoes are optional but make sense for this costume because they give it an even more authentic look.
- Make sure you have some sort of umbrella handy—you’ll need it when you get caught up in storm clouds while wearing your dark-colored raincoat!
Baseball players are a classic family costume, and they’re also cheap. The easier you make it for your kids to dress up as baseball players—the less sewing involved, the better.
Baseball caps are in most people’s closets, but if yours is empty, can you borrow one from a friend? Can you buy a pack of them at Walmart? If not, consider buying some online instead (they’ll come in handy later). T-shirts should be easy enough to find as well. If necessary, buy up all the jerseys on sale before Halloween shopping season begins! Check out Chasing Fireflies for the best mommy and me Halloween costumes!
- Pikachu is a yellow mouse-like creature and Ash’s best friend. He wears a red and white hat, has lightning bolt shaped ears, and the tail is the same color as his body.
- Ash is a boy who befriends Pikachu in the anime series “Pokémon.” He wears an orange hat and black sneakers with blue accents at the ankle.
You will need:
- Hat and T-shirt – You can go with a baseball hat, or use something more creative like the Wild Things crown.
- Pajamas or costume pants – You can choose to go with the pajamas, but I like to use pants that have a flare at the bottom so they look like they are flying through the air while running around as Max.
- Felt sheets/crayons – These are optional, but if you have them they will help make your costume look even better!
If you’re a parent, Halloween may be the one night of the year where you get to dress up with your kids. That’s why we love this Good Witch and Bad Witch from Hocus Pocus costume for kids. It’s subtle enough that it doesn’t matter what age the child is—they’ll still look cute and spooky at the same time.
To achieve this look, grab a black dress, white shirt and scarf (or just wear black clothes if you have them). Then apply some witchy makeup: dark eyeliner, white face paint around your eyes, and red lipstick. You can use glitter if you want! Once they’ve got their outfit on and are cleaned up from dinner or whatever else they’ve been doing all day (maybe trick-or-treating?) hang out in front of an old person’s house for a bit until someone rings their doorbell to ask whether or not there are any witches inside. This is when you pull out all the stops: yell loudly “Oh no!” run away as fast as possible screaming even louder than before then disappear into thin air!
Halloween is a great time to bond with your kids. Halloween is a great time to have fun with your kids. Halloween is a great time to teach your kids about the holiday, and it’s also a great way to spend time with them on this special day. You can do all of these things in the same costume!
I hope these ideas have given you some inspiration for what to dress up as this Halloween. It’s always fun to get creative with costumes, and I think these are all great options for families. If you do decide to go with one of the above suggestions, please send us pictures! We would love to see how well your kids pull off their costumes.