Electricity around the home is vital. However, because of various electrical hazards, you should take precautions as you do electrical work. If you want to prevent any possible electrical shock in your home, ensure that you shut off the power or any electrical appliance you plan to use. However, it is not as simple as that, for there are things around the home that give an electric charge even with no power. Also, some things you have to do around the house may require the use of continuous electricity. Thus, creating an electrical risk as you work. For this reason, you should be careful around the home and understand how to use electricity safely or get further advice from electrician from Nashville. Below are precautions you should take to avoid electrical shocks at home.
- Use GFCIs
Any work that you do at home and requires the use of electricity throughout. Meaning you need to have the power on all the time. Plug your power tool, extension cord, or other equipment into the Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter Outlet. Optionally, use a GFCI protected extension cord to protect yourself from electrical shocks. When you use GFCIs, they help detect any electrical issues you have and shut off the power to prevent any possible electrical shock. You can experience a fault by short circuits that occur inside tools, appliances, or cords or if water gets on cord contacts. If you have to be working near water, a moisture source, or outdoors, you need to consider using GFCI protection.
- Test for power
After turning off the circuit breaker, always test for power at the equipment or the device. Use an electrical tester or a non-contact voltage tester to check any electrical contacts or circuit wiring before you touch anything that may still have electrical current in it. For instance, if you need to work on a light switch with a problem, turn off the power to the switch circuit and carefully get out the switch cover. Use the tester to ensure that no voltage is present before you proceed.
- Beware of capacitors
Capacitors, just like batteries, hold an electric charge on their own. Equipment that use motors have capacitors, such as freezers, microwave ovens, air conditioners and refrigerators. Thus, to help the motor start, the capacitors store electricity by giving them a boost at a high voltage. Notably, even with the appliance unplugged or the circuit power cut off, capacitors can still deliver a deadly shock. Therefore, it is best to avoid working with equipment that contains capacitors unless you know how to remove capacitors safely.
- Use insulated tools
Using insulated tools for electrical work always makes sense. Although it sometimes seems like overkill when your circuit is off, and you have tested the power before touching any wires. However, it is best to consider it an easy and lifesaving backup precaution. More so, since the tool might drop or slip and cause an accidental electrical connection. Insulated tools are best since they have a minimal amount of metal exposed to prevent such accidents. Additionally, if you are working near electrical equipment wiring from a ladder, do not use a metal ladder, but a non-conductive fiberglass ladder will do.
- Shut off power
Always turn off the power to a device or a circuit that you plan to work on. To do this, make sure that you turn off the specific breaker in your home’s breaker box or service panel. If you are not sure which is the breaker, it is best to shut off the entire breaker. If the appliance or equipment you are working on has a cord, unplug the cord to turn off the power to the equipment or appliance.
To conclude, you must know how to prevent shocks around the home. Not only for personal safety but also the safety of others around you. This applies to any electrical works that are happening around your home. The above precautions are some to consider as they are simple to follow and safe. Also, educate other people around your home to ensure they too prevent any possible electrical shocks.