Mouthing is a tough phase for both mother and baby, in this phase baby’s tend to put anything and everything into their mouth. It could be anything like toys, paper, clip, spoon, hands, blankets, etc. The baby will put literally everything into their mouth which they can grab easily.
Once the babies can hold anything, they can effortlessly grab items and put everything into their mouths. They are not bothered much about the shape, texture, color and even taste of the object which they put into their mouth. The main reason for mouthing in babies can be due to reflex.
The Reflex can be divided into 2 types, one is rooting reflex and another is suck reflex. The rooting reflex happens when the cheek of the baby is touched. The baby tries sucking action when the object stokes their cheek. During the suck reflex, the baby continues with sucking motion in and around when the mouth is touched. Both the reflex is a natural phenomenon in babies and it usually goes away when the baby grows. Check out our recent published article on sim 4 pregnancy mods.
This phase of mouthing continues until they are of 3 years. But, putting things into their mouth can a be potentially risking their health. Here are the top 2 risk factor which is involved in mouthing phase.
Choking is extremely risking for babies and the primary cause is mouthing. It is advisable to keep small items away from the sight of baby, it will prevent the chances of mouthing and eventually the risk of choking. Look for the toys which don’t have any choking hazards and sharp corners.
Also, avoid feeding food which can lead to chocking and can also be a life hazard. Choking can be extremely difficult for the baby; it can also be fatal if timely precaution is not taken care of.
When a baby has a habit of put everything in their mouth, it can lead to infection and stomach bugs. When the babies are exposed to contaminated items then the chances of viral infection are also high.
Make sure to regularly clean the baby’s toy and objects which come in their immediate contact. Also, clean the floor and blankets regularly to avoid the chances of infection.
Safety Measures To Consider During the Mouthing Phase
The mouthing phase is tough and taxing for the mother, here are some precautional measures to follow and reduces the chances of health issues. These top 7 below mentioned safety measures can prevent the chances of potential risk.
1. Baby proof the playing area from choking items.
2. Keep the baby under supervision of adults so that the chances of putting anything harmful into their mouth is less. This is must especially when the baby is playing outdoor.
3. Clean the toys and other objects of the baby regularly which they tend to put into their mouth. Opt for a good baby-safe disinfectant which will prevent the chances of infection.
4. Offer child safe things to your baby. The positive reinforcement is also a great way to prevent the chances of harmful health hazards in the baby. If the baby tends to put random objects into their month, substitute them into something healthy like boiled vegetables, fruits or teething biscuits. These healthy options are great for nibbling and will also keep baby healthy.
5. For older babies who understand what you say, encourage them to understand the disadvantages of mouthing. Gently but firmly say no to your baby, make them understand the disadvantage of mouthing random items. Narrate the risk of infection in the form of a creative story.
6. Keep the child’s reachable space away from harmful items like shampoo, detergents, soap, phenyl, dish wash, etc. This can be poisonous and also can lead to fatal health hazards.
7. Also keep first aid boxes, medicines, and junk food away from the baby, it can lead to accidental indigestion.
Nothing is normal in babies; it is obvious for the parents to worry. When the right safety measures and precautions are taken care then risk factor can be reduced to a great extent. The above-mentioned safety precautions can reduce the chances of accidental indigestion in babies.