Are you thinking about hiring a personal injury lawyer, but aren’t sure if you really need one? While hiring a lawyer can be expensive, oftentimes, a personal injury lawyer is necessary if you want to win your case. But you can get the help that you need from Austin Attorney with no fees, unless you win.
But, how can you be sure you need one? What does a personal injury lawyer do?
Check out this guide to learn what a personal injury lawyer does.
What is a Personal Injury Lawyer?
A personal injury lawyer is a civil litigator who represents clients who are claiming that they’ve been physically or psychologically injured as a result of negligence on someone else’s part.
This “someone else” may be another company, person government body, entity, or organization. Personal injury attorneys practice in an area of law known as tort law. Tort law specializes in private or civic wrongs or injuries, as well as monetary and non-monetary damages.
Personal injury lawyers from Mary Alexander & Associates typically handle cases involving flawed products, work injuries, slip and fall accidents, car accidents, or other related accidents and incidents such as:
- Boating accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse
- Wrongful death
- Spinal cord injuries
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Burn injuries
- Brain injuries
- Aviation accidents
- Insurance/bad faith claims
When you hire a personal injury lawyer, their job is to help you secure the compensation you deserve for the injuries you incurred and possibly for the time you missed at work.
This compensation may also include other expenses that have come up, such as legal help, companionship, emotional distress, and more.
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
A personal injury lawyer takes on a wide range of responsibilities and duties. Personal injury lawyers are responsible for:
- Collecting and examining evidence: Your lawyer will hire an investigator, take pictures, interview witnesses, retrieve surveillance footage, obtain police reports, and do whatever else they need to do to build your case
- Dealing with insurance companies: Personal injury lawyers review policy details and negotiate with insurance companies to ensure that you get the maximum amount of compensation you deserve for your accident. Once you hire a personal injury lawyer, all communication with the insurance company will go through them
- Send letters: A personal injury lawyer may need to send demanding letters to the insurance company to ensure that you’ll receive proper compensation
- Prepare pleadings: Should the insurance company deny your claim, your lawyer will prepare a complaint against the defendant that sets out the legal arguments explaining why the defendant is responsible for the accident. Typically, the defendant has 30 days to answer this statement.
Should your case go to trial, your personal injury lawyer will represent you in a court of law. When searching for personal injury lawyers, make sure you hire one with trial experience.
Do You Need to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Now that you’ve read this guide, it’s time for you to decide whether or not you need to hire a personal injury lawyer. If the answer is yes, then you need to do some online research and attend some free consultations to ensure that you find the right lawyer for your needs.
And, be sure to peruse our blog for more informative articles like this one.