When people talk about their workplace, they mostly complain about how much workload they have or how stressed they are. Seldom do people discuss their office workspace, the office furniture and other elements. This is because only a few workspaces consider the employee’s well-being, rather than just work. But now, the trend is quickly changing. Every company wants what is best for their employees.
Research has shown that a good work environment with a great workspace and furniture keeps the employee happy, and it, in turn, it increases their productivity and can produce better results when it comes to their work.
Importance of having a great workspace environment:
There are a lot of reasons to invest in good office furniture and décor. Researchers found that an average human being who has a 9 to 5 job, spends around 90,000 hours at work. Let’s assume the person has a lifespan of up to 70 years and starts working at approximately 21 years of age and retires at 65 years. This person would have spent precisely 92,928 hours out of 3,85,440 hours of employment at a workspace/office. Some folks consider work as a place of worship. To ensure they are well taken care of, comfortable office furniture and beautiful décor are essential.
- Workspaces today are very colourful and full of things to excite the eye. This is because studies have shown the human brain responds very quickly to bright and warm colour tones. It increases the level of happiness and the feeling of calmness. Such work environments result in a steep increase in employee productivity.
- The aesthetic sense of the workspace can completely change the game, be it in terms of employee pride, or the stature of the company. Imagine a situation wherein inter-company meetings are happening, and one company invites the other into their workspace. When they see a beautiful meeting room with fantastic office furniture and a killer aesthetic sense, they will feel intimidated and impressed. In short, an excellent aesthetic game can mellow down the competitors.
- Ergonomics is an essential concept that companies must consider when an office space is being built or renovated. Ergonomics is essentially the science that helps understand the interaction of human and other elements in the system, and it emphasises human well-being. Ergonomic chairs, and tables, are adjustable according to convenience and help prevent any long-term illness in employees who spend most of their time sitting and working. Desks that can be adjusted to stand and work are usually the trend seen these days.
- There is also a need to invest in high-quality equipment and furniture that provides comfort and lowers employees’ health issues. Making sure that the furniture company offers a reasonable warranty period is beneficial for the company’s expenditure.
There are many disadvantages to having poor work furniture, as employees spend a lot of time sitting on those chairs. A new saying introduced in corporate culture is “Sitting is the new Smoking”. It can cause the following problems:
- Muscular fatigue
- Obstruction to blood circulation
- Back, neck and hip pains
- Cramping and fatigue
- Lack of employee focus at work
- Joint problems such as knee and elbow pains
In short, do focus on creating a fun, comfortable, and interactive work environment for greater success.